Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 upgrade fails with public folder ACL permissions issue

I have seen a few instances now where upgrading from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 will give an error of:

Access control list (ACL) inheritance is blocked for the Public Folder tree object (CN=Public Folders,CN=Folder Hierarchies,CN=first administrative group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<Your domain>,CN=Microsoft Exchange, CN=Services, CN=Configuration, DC=<your domain>, DC=<your domain suffix>). Re-enable the inheritance and restart setup

The easiest way I have discovered to fix this is through ADSIEdit .

Open ADSIEdit.msc, Select the Configuration partition then drill down the tree through this path
  • Service
  • Microsoft Exchange
  • Your Exchange organization
  • Administrative groups
  • First Administrative Group 
  • Select Folder Hierarchies 
You should now see CN=Public Folders in the right hand pane. Right click and go to properties then the security tab of both the Folder Hierarchies folder and the CN=Public Folders item. In the security tab click the advanced button and make sure"Allow inheritable permissions" is checked for both of them. After this is done retry your install.

OWA showing blank page in Exchange 2010

After certain rollups or patches are applied to Exchange 2010 OWA may start showing a blank page instead of the login page and the URL will look something like

To fix this issue open Exchange management console go to your Exchange installation bin folder, typically this is C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin and run updatecas.ps1

Cannot add Server 2012 to existing 2003R2 DFS namespace

When trying to add a new server 2012 standard server to our domains DFS namespace which was created on a 2003R2 server (so is a 2000 based DFS) we get the following error

\\domain.local\dfs: The namespace server \\2012SERVER\DFS cannot be added. The server already hosts a namespace. You can host multiple namespaces only on Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition or Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition.

This was somewhat confusing since the server did not host any other namespaces and I had just added the same namespace to a 2008R2 server a month ago. The resolution ended up being to just go to one of my 2008R2 machines and add it from there and I was then able to manage everything else from the 2003R2 machine.

SharePoint 2013 logging in with wrong user name

There is (as of release) a bug with SharePoint 2013 that will log users into SharePoint using an incorrect account if you map a drive as a user name other than yours through the SharePoint design manager interface. This issue will persist even after disconnecting the mapped drive. It will also continue to be a problem even if you re-enable the log in as another user ability in SharePoint. It will show you are logged in as the correct user but will actually use the mapped credentials. To fix the issue you need to remap the drive with the correct username and password.